Young Artists Residency Program
San Jose Playhouse Now Accepting Submissions for Young Artists Residency Program
This program offers performers a year-long residency with opportunities to perform, teach, and gain hands-on experience in theatrical production and administration. Ideal for triple-threat performers just out of college looking to build their resume and gain experience, our Young Artists Residency Program includes the opportunity to:
- Perform in San Jose Playhouse Professional Series when appropriate roles are available.
- Perform in our Clubhouse Series events: original musicals for youth and families with a post-show “edutainment” component for youth.
- Serve as host or technician for live, weekly events including Broadway Karaoke, Family Game Nights, and Open Mic Nights.
- Serve as educators for The Academy, San Jose Playhouse’s year-round series of theater arts classes for all ages.
- and Rotate through internships with multiple departments at San Jose Playhouse with the goal of giving the Young Artists a wide range of theatrical production and administrative experiences during their employment.
Participation in the Young Artists Residency Program will give the actors and stage manager the opportunity to complete creditable weeks of work to enter the Equity Membership Candidate Program (EMC). The EMC permits actors and stage managers in training to credit theatrical work towards eventual membership in Equity. Candidates must complete at least 25 creditable weeks of work at any participating theatre. SJ Playhouse is one of those theaters. Local housing available. Paid.
Artists of all ages; artists of color; artists with differing-abilities; women, trans and gender non-conforming actors; and other members of historically and currently marginalized communities with the above performing skillset are encouraged to submit.